-

-

Saint Mary’s to hold annual charity walk

Alicia Smith | Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Saint Mary’s will host Light the Night, an annual walk in support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) Thursday, Carrie Call, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE) said.

Registration for the walk will begin at 5 p.m., and the walk will begin at 7 p.m.

This is the fourth year the College will host Light the Night. Each year, students, faculty, staff and members of the community gather together to raise funds and awareness for LLS. OCSE is sponsoring the event.

“It’s a way to show our support of and solidarity with those who are battling cancer,” Call said.

The proceeds raised from the walk will support research on blood cancers, Call said. In addition, the money will provide funding for patient services for local community members who are being treated for blood cancers.

“The purpose of hosting this event is to raise awareness about blood cancers and to give people the opportunity to walk in solidarity with those who are struggling with cancer,” she said. “It means a great deal to an individual when a whole team rallies around him or her and takes part in the walk.”

According to Call, LLS approached the College with the intent to host the event on campus.

Call said the College saw the walk “as an opportunity to get the campus community involved with a great organization,” and decided to begin hosting the event annually.

With more than 300 walkers expected to attend, Call said students have the opportunity to become involved with Light the Night in a variety of ways.

“Students can get involved by walking and by raising money,” she said. “Even a few dollars makes a difference.”

Students can also become involved by volunteering to help with the event. 

According to Call, Light the Night is an important event for several reasons.

“First of all, raising awareness about serious medical issues is always a worthy cause,” Call said. “Secondly, it’s important for us as a faith-based college to demonstrate our solidarity with and support for those who are in need.”

Call said students, faculty, staff and community members can register as an individual or as a team to participate in the walk.

To register for the walk, visit www3.saintmarys.edu/ocse/calendar/ltn-form