Shyamalan stays out of the details on ‘Devil’

Ankur Chawla | Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Thriller mastermind M. Night Shyamalan is the man behind the idea for Universal Studios’ new horror flick, “Devil.” However, unlike “The Lady in the Water” and “The Village” this movie actually looks like it could be good.

“Devil” is a return to Shyamalan’s psychological horror roots, a genre he once excelled at in his breakout film “The Sixth Sense.”

While this may still be considered Shyamalan’s movie, he took a back seat and let other people write, produce and direct. After all, he only recently finished up doing all three for “The Last Airbender,” and that didn’t turn out so well for him.

“Devil” follows a group of people who are trapped in an elevator only to realize the Devil is among them. Before judging the concept, watch the trailer and you will understand some of the excitement about this movie. The scenes actually look scary and intense, and with it coming from the mind of Shyamalan it will, without a doubt, have a crazy twist you would have to see to appreciate.

The trailer begins by looking at an average, urban high-rise with people walking into their office. Employees have coincidental and arbitrary encounters with others, and a group of people gets locked in an elevator. Among them are the Devil, and the ultimate theme that these random encounters have a purpose. Hence the tagline of the movie, “Bad things happen for a reason.”

Chris Messina (“Julie & Julia”), Bojana Movakovic (“Seven Pounds”), Logan Marshall-Green (“Brooklyn’s Finest”) and Geoffrey Arend (“500 Days of Summer”) star in this supernatural suspense thriller. Directing this cast of relatively low-profile actors are Drew Dowdle and John Eric Dowdle, pairing up to direct their first film.

Hopefully this redeems Shyamalan’s reputation, and reminds us of his brilliant work in “The Sixth Sense” and “Unbreakable.”

Contact Ankur Chawla at achawla@nd.edu

“Devil” debuts in theaters Sept. 17. Look for Ankur Chawla’s review on Sept. 20.

Check out the trailer and other movie info at www.thenightchronicles.com/devil