SMC Cross Country: Saint Mary's opens season against new foe

Just one week into school, many students are complaining about the extremely hot weather. Some days, even walking to and from class and the dining hall seems unbearable.

If these leisurely walks around campus seem exhausting, imagine running.

Tonight, Saint Mary's will brave the heat to race for the first time this season. After a disciplined summer of workouts, the team has been working harder these past few weeks, incorporating hills, lifts, progressive runs and longer runs into their schedule.

"The team came back in great shape, and we're looking forward to a solid season led by our experienced senior class," Belles coach Jackie Bauters said.

Not much adjustment has needed to take place so far, as Saint Mary's has only made two new additions to the team this year. In addition to their seniors, the Belles will look for leadership from sophomore Julia Kenney, who acted as a standout last year. Other runners expected to keep up top form from last season include junior Joanne Almond and seniors Clare McVey and Catie Salyer, starting tonight against Goshen.

"Every team we run against poses some sort of challenge, so we will just see what they have to bring to the meet and we will respond," McVey said.

Though tonight's race marks the season opener, the Belles hope to set the tone for a solid season.

"It will be a good opportunity to see what kind of a race they can put together; individually as well as collectively," Bauters said. "We are really just hoping to get a good idea of what we are working with leading into the MIAA competition in several weeks."

Tonight's race begins at 6 p.m. at Saint Mary's.