SMC recognizes global Day of Peace

This Tuesday, Saint Mary's Campus Ministry will hold two events in recognition of the International Day of Peace.

Students may gather in the student center between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to create their own pinwheel for peace. Regina Wilson, assistant director of Campus Ministry, said students will write their hopes, dreams and wishes on the pinwheels to serve as a visual reminder of this globally recognized occasion.

"It's a way for Saint Mary's to join in the worldwide community in observance of peace; a way to invite students to stop in the middle of the day and reflect," Wilson said.

It is also important for students to learn about peace together, she said.

The second event in observance of International Peace Day will be held Tuesday evening at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Center. Students will have the opportunity to view "Taking Root: the Vision of Wangari and Maathai," a film that tells the story of a Kenyan woman who attempts to address environmental degradation and other human rights issues by planting trees. In conjunction with the justice education department, Saint Mary's Environmental Action Coalition will lead students in a discussion following the film.

"These are just two little, simple ways that we ask students to focus on the needs of the world to pursue peace; these things don't register on people's radar," Wilson said.

Last year, between 60 and 80 students attended these events on International Peace Day, she said, adding that the events foster a friendly environment and are open to all interested participants.