-

-

SMC Soccer: Belles fall to Otterbein, Ohio Northern in tournament

Joseph Wirth | Monday, September 13, 2010

The Belles fell twice at the Otterbein Tournament in Westerville, Ohio, this weekend, for their fifth and sixth losses of the new season. They have yet to win a game.

Though the young Belles’ defense put up a tough fight, the No. 7 Cardinals’ attack was too much for Saint Mary’s (0-6) to handle as it fell 2-0 Friday.

Otterbein got on the board early, when Cardinals’ Abby Misch capitalized on a Belles’ defensive mistake and scored in the second minute. St. Mary’s righted the ship for the remainder of the first half and went into the intermission trailing 1-0.

The Cardinals notched their second goal 15 minutes into the second half as junior Adrienne Novak unleashed a shot that finished in the back of the net and quelled the Belles’ comeback hopes.

The game marked the first start at goalkeeper for Belles’ sophomore Caitlin Walsh. She stopped 16 of the 18 shots she faced.

The Belles continued play Saturday against Ohio Northern. They did not fare much better on Saturday, however, suffering their sixth loss in six total games this season.

The Belles were unable to contain the Polar Bears’ freshman Sami Atkinson who notched her first collegiate hat trick. The goals came in the 3rd, 47th and 53rd minutes.

Walsh made 15 saves for the Belles in her second start on goal.

The Belles were unable to sustain any offensive momentum as the Polar Bears’ suffocating defense held them to only five shots and only one on goal. Offensively, it has been a struggle all year for the Belles.

The Belles’ quest to find their first win this season will take them to Elmhurst, Ill., to take on Elmhurst College Wednesday.