Sunday, May 12, 2024

SMC Soccer: Belles head out to face Spartans

After ending its six game losing streak Friday, the Saint Mary's College soccer team hopes to win two more as they travel to Manchester Tuesday to take on the Spartans before the regular season comes to a close.

The goal for the Belles (1-7) is to generate as much momentum as possible before MIAA play begins Sept. 29 at Calvin.

Belles coach Michael Joyce said sustaining the energy of its first win is paramount to the team's success as they move along in their schedule.

"Winning in general is a big boost to your confidence, team moral and enthusiasm," Joyce said. "We're excited to keep things moving in the right direction."

Joyce said he expects a marked difference in the team's level of confidence as they head into tonight's match against the Spartans.

Manchester (1-6) has had its fair share of struggles this weekend as well, and should provide the Belles with one of their less competitive opponents this season.

Joyce's key to success will be finishing their chances on goal, something the team struggled with this past weekend,

"We'll want to make the most of our chances against Manchester," Joyce said. "We'll do some work with our finishing today at practice so we can capitalize on our opportunities".

The Belles play Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. at Manchester.