SMC to host dinner in honor of Moreau

Sodexo, Saint Mary's food service company, will host a special dinner Wednesday night in the Noble Family Dining Hall to honor the beatification of Blessed Fr. Basil Moreau.

"We hold this dinner to honor Father Moreau and his educational and community values," said Barry Bowles, general manager of Sodexo at the College.

Moreau founded the Congregation of Holy Cross in 1841. Sodexo has been hosting a dinner to honor him since his beatification on Sept. 15, 2007. The first dinner was the idea of Sr. Rose Anne Schultz, former vice president of mission at the College.

Bowles said the food would be reminiscent of a traditional French meal, honoring Moreau's French heritage.

Items being served include coq au vin, steak au poivre, salad, bread and cheeses. There will also be a dessert station with pastries, pies and cookies.

Bowles said although there is limited space and seating, the meal has been a student favorite for years.

Last year, over 250 faculty members attended the meal in addition to students. Bowles said he would like to see that number grow this year and encourages staff and faculty members to attend.

Notre Dame students may attend the meal if they obtain co-exchange tickets on Wednesday.

Sodexo made special food orders in order to prepare for Wednesday's meal. They received and checked the items on Monday, Bowles said.

Basic culinary preparations will be made to the food during the day today, Bowles said. Last minute preparations and cooking will occur Wednesday afternoon; the meal will be fresh on Wednesday night.

"The Basil Moreau dinner is a really important meal," Bowles said. "It is one of the student's favorite meals, but it is important to remember what it means to the campus."

Another dinner to honor Moreau will be held during the spring semester.

"Food brings people together. Students, faculty, staff, whomever," Bowles said.

The dinner will be served from 4:30 to 7 p.m.