SMC Volleyball: Belles go 1-1 for weekend

Katharine Mack | Monday, September 13, 2010

The Belles split this season’s first weekend of MIAA conference play, as they beat Albion 3-0 Friday and fell Saturday to another conference foe, Olivet 3-1.

“The whole team played really well on Friday night,” senior Ellen Huelsmann said. “We did a great job of communicating together and had a lot of energy,”

Sophomore Stephanie Bodien raked in a match-high 12 kills and 14 digs, and added two assists for the Belles (5-2). Bodien’s standout evening also included a .423 attack percentage, the best on the court.

Junior Danie Brink had an evening-best 30 assists, and Huelsmann also made an important contribution with 11 digs.

Saturday, the Belles headed to Olivet College (5-1) to face off against the Comets in their second straight conference match.

Although Saint Mary’s did not leave victorious, losing 1-3, the first two sets were lost by a score of 22-25, and the third set was won 25-19. However, the momentum shifted back to Olivet as the Comets won the fourth set 25-16 for the overall win.

“Communication had been a big help for us winning on Friday. We didn’t have as much communication and energy as we did in our victory on Friday,” Huelsmann said.

The Belles see Saturday’s loss as a learning opportunity and a way to grow as a team.

“The loss really helped us to know what we need to work on as a team” Huelsmann said. “We didn’t play as well as we did Friday night. It was a good experience to learn from, in terms of knowing our mistakes and finding out what we need to improve upon.”

With only two days left to practice before their next match, the Belles plan to work on eradicating the mistakes they made that cost them the Olivet game.

“We’re going to work on a lot of the basics,” Huelsmann said. A lot of our mistakes were our own errors. We will definitely be working on defense as well as aggressive serving.”

Saint Mary’s will face their third conference opponent in five days Wednesday when the Belles travel to Grand Rapids, Mich., to face undefeated No. 9 Calvin College.