SMC Volleyball: Belles prepared for Scots

Looking to snap out of a three-game losing streak, the Belles will travel to Alma to face off with the Scots tonight.

Saint Mary's enters the game with a 3-9 record (1-3 in the MIAA) while Alma holds strong at 8-4 record (3-1 in the MIAA).

The two teams only played each other once last season, but the match went down to the wire. In the end, the Scots came out with a five-set victory, winning 3-2 (16-25, 25-23, 25-22, 27-29, 11-15).

Sophomore Stephanie Bodien fronted the Belles with 11 kills in the loss. Senior Meghann Rose led both teams with 20 digs, while Bodien added 17 and senior Ellen Huelsmann picked up another 16. Junior Danie Brink led the way with 40 assists during the match.

The Belles have had difficult times on the court this season, beginning the season with a three-game losing streak before winning three of their next six matches. Since then, Saint Mary's went on another three-game losing streak to fall to 3-9 on the season and have lost three consecutive conference matches since beginning 1-0.

Saint Mary's is coming off of a recent MIAA loss to conference foe Kalamazoo in four sets (25-10, 16-25, 25-12, 31-29). In the decisive fourth set, the Belles fought with the Hornets through 16 ties and six lead changes when there were only three ties and two lead changes previously.

Saint Mary's led through much of the fourth set after establishing a five-point lead and then a four-point one up to the 14-0 mark. As the Hornets came back, the Belles stayed within close range by help from Bodien, who has been key to the Saint Mary's success this year.

Jumping onto the scene last year and making a big impact her rookie season, she has only improved on the court this year. At the Manchester Tournament last weekend, Bodien was named to the All-Tournament team from her 11 kills and 16 digs in the first match before adding five more kills and two blocks in the second match Sunday.

The next week will be critical for the Belles as they look to get back on track in MIAA play. Following tonight's match against the Scots, Saint Mary's will host Adrian Saturday before traveling to Trine College on Sept. 29.

The Belles will face the Scots tonight at 7 p.m. on the Alma courts.