Stop the presses

Obviously the South Bend Tribune sports reporters will all disagree with me, but let's start helping Notre Dame football with no more media interviews, except for the post-game ones.

When Brian Kelly honestly tells you, and the whole world, each week, what he thinks our weak areas are, what the opposing team's strengths are, when he reveals that our special teams coach is out sick, tells the entire world how he likes to run his kick return (i.e., up the middle, and then look for a break outside), tells the whole world he is going to have to protect Crist by not having him run as much, etc., this is only hurting the team.

I can guarantee you that, for example, one of the reasons we could not get a decent kick return last Saturday night, one of the reasons Michigan State ran the fake field goal so successfully, one of the reasons Michigan State held our running backs in check, etc. was the excessive interviewing of Brian Kelly on the world wide web.

Note, I did not say the only reason.

But when a team like Michigan State basically has nine months to prepare for the game, i.e., because they play only tune-up games the two weeks before, but we have only one week, we need every possible edge we can get, rather than give these edges to Michigan State.

Again, I know the South Bend and Chicago sports reporters will all disagree with me, given their job descriptions, but this is honestly the way I feel. I felt the same way with Charlie Weis.

Not the only reason we lose, but enough of a reason when we lose these very tight games vs Big 10 opponents.

Thank you.

Jim Blase

alumnus

law school class of 1981

Sep. 19