Te'o sets personal high with 21 tackles

Irish sophomore linebacker Manti Te'o set a career-high with 21 tackles in the loss. Teo's previous career-high was set Sept. 11 against Michigan with 13 tackles after recording 63 tackles during the 2009 campaign.

"We were in the right gaps," Te'o said. "I don't count my tackles, I just do the best I can. That is about it. It doesn't matter if I have a hundred [tackles,] if we don't win."

Third-down woes

The Irish lost the battle on third down Saturday, as Stanford finished 11-for-15 on third down conversions. The 11 conversions from the Cardinal were the most allowed by the Irish defense this season, besting the previous high of six conversions allowed against Purdue.

"Anytime you convert on a third down, all of the kudos goes to the offensive line," Stanford junior quarterback Andrew Luck said. "Whether its third and short and they're pounding the ball or third and long and they're bringing the pressure, I think the credit goes to them."

The 11 conversions registered by Stanford on Saturday were the most by an Irish opponent since Michigan's 12 in 2003.

"We weren't able to get them off [the field] on third downs, and that was the key," Irish senior cornerback Darrin Walls said.

Luck running out

Cardinal quarterback Andrew Luck recorded four rushes totaling 23 yards on the day. The Irish have now surrendered 291 yards rushing to opposing quarterbacks on the season. Stanford's leading rusher was sophomore running back Stepfan Taylor, whose 28 carries were a career high. Taylor bore most of the rushing load after fellow sophomore running back Tyler Gaffney went down with an injury early in the game.

"Well, I mean, we really needed to grind some meat. I thought [the running backs] did a heck of a job," Cardinal coach Jim Harbaugh said. "Stepfan Taylor, in particular. The running back seemed to get stronger as he went along. None of our backs had that many carries … that was kind of unchartered waters for our young backs."

Legends Trophy stays in Palo Alto

Stanford's victory puts the all-time series tally at 17-8, and gives the Cardinal their third win in 13 contests at Notre Dame Stadium. The winner of the rivalry game receives the Legends Trophy, which was presented for the first time in 1989. Notre Dame is 13-6 in games where the Legends Trophy is awarded.