Tomlin to teach, lecture at College

Saint Mary's College staff announced last Friday they are excited to welcome actress and comedian Lily Tomlin to the Moreau Center for the Arts on September 27th.  

Tomlin replaced actress Sigourney Weaver as this year's Margaret Hill Endowed visiting artist.

"Ms. Weaver was asked to be in a movie at the last minute," Gwen O'Brien, director of media relations at Saint Mary's College, said.

However, she said she is excited that Tomlin agreed to fill Weaver's space.

Tomlin has starred in a number of films including "Nine to Five," "Flirting with Disaster" and "I Heart Huckabees." Her television career includes work on such shows as "Desperate Housewives," and "The West Wing," and she was the infamous voice of Miss Frizzle on the children's show "The Magic School Bus."

Tomlin also works alongside last year's visiting artist, Glenn Close, on the television series "Damages."

Tomlin's career successes include a number of Tony, Peabody, and Emmy awards, as well as a Grammy award.    

Emily Schmitt, a theater major said she is excited to work with Tomlin. Tomlin will teach a master class to the theater majors at Saint Mary's, according to Schmitt.

"She's going to help us work on our character sketches and help us develop a more believable person on stage," she said.

Theater major Eva Cavadini is also looking forward to the master class.

"I'm eager to learn whatever she has to offer me. As a young actress, I'm always learning new things," Cavadini said. "This is a good opportunity for anyone who has a passion for acting."

While some girls may be nervous to work with the actress, Cavadini said, "I'm more eager rather than nervous to work with her, after all, she is a person just like anyone else."

In addition, Tomlin will dine with theater majors that evening. Schmitt is excited for this opportunity, as it will provide one-on-one time between the actress and the students.

"I am really excited and feel fortunate that Saint Mary's gives us the opportunity to work and converse with such a talented and well-known artist," Schmitt said.

That evening at 7:30 p.m., Tomlin will hold a public lecture in O'Laughlin Auditorium of the Moreau Center for the Arts, which all students are encouraged to attend.

Bridget Gartenmayer, a political science major, said, "Although I am not a theater major, I am still really excited to attend Tomlin's lecture. It's an opportunity to hear a dominant figure in the media world speak, and I'm going to take it."

The event is free to all Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students and faculty. However, tickets are still required to attend the event.  Tickets are available at the Moreau Box Office.

The event is also open to the general public with tickets costing $14 online or $13 at the window.