-

-

Women’s Interhall: Quack attack

Megan | Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The secondary of Howard came ready to back up the Ducks’ undefeated record, as their two-interception performance was enough to bring the Ducks to a hard fought 21-7 victory over Pangborn.

The Phoxes (1-1) put their only points on the board early, as senior quarterback Gabby Tate ran for a touchdown in their first possession of the game, taking an early 7-0 lead.

“Howard did a really fantastic job. Their defense was awesome, and the run was the one thing that was open,” Tate said. “But passing wise, I don’t think I’ve faced a tougher defense, so hats off to them.”

Undefeated Howard (3-0) exhibited a steller performance for the first half as senior quarterback Kayla Bishop and junior wide receiver Jenny Gassner connected for two touchdowns, one in the final minute of the half.

“I kind of had to scramble for it, and all of the sudden the ball was coming down,” Gassner said. “It was really a spontaneous play that wasn’t really planned out at all, but it really worked out.”

Howard’s defense dominated in the second half. Pangborn’s first possession of the second half ended quickly when senior defensive lineman Kaitlin Robinson intercepted Tate’s pass, setting the stage for Howard’s final touchdown drive. Soon after that, it was Howard’s sophomore cornerback Kirsten Bescher who picked off Tate for Howard’s second interception of the day.

“I just saw the quarterback scrambling, and then my girl cut in front of me,” Bescher said. “We’re just a pretty tight unit, and we understand how each other work. We have a good vision of the field and where to go.”

Pangborn’s captain said she is confident that this loss will help the team prepare for future games.

“We definitely know what to work on,” Tate said. “I think in the Badin game we started off really strong and maybe made us a little overconfident. Now we need to go back to the drawing board and really look at what we can work on, on offense and defense. We’re happy this happened early in the season, so we can make adjustments for the playoffs.”

Howard has a bye next Sunday, while Pangborn will host Pasquerilla East.

Farley 18, Breen Phillips 0

There was no neighborly love from Farley for Breen Phillips Sunday, as the Finest shut out the still-winless Babes in an 18-0 romp.

From the first play, Farley (2-1) had control of both the offensive and defensive sides of the football. The Finest offense was particularly strong and showed much improvement from last week.

“We added in a few new offensive plays that we were able to execute,” senior wide receiver and team captain Molly Casanova said.

Casanova had two touchdowns, leading her team to its second win of the season.

The Babes (0-3) defense was unable to stop Farley’s passing game, with three drives resulting in touchdowns.

The Breen Phillips offense was also ineffective throughout the game, failing to put any points on the board.

“Our team is justifiably disappointed with the record, but we’re proud despite the adversity we have experienced on the field,” Babes coach Matt Meagher said.

Meagher said this year’s team is inexperienced, numerous freshmen starting at skill positions.

“We have a very young team,” Meagher said. “We’re trying to build and in the meantime, keep our spirits up and just work hard every practice.”

Casanova said Farley has focused on improving its offense and has continued to work hard as a team.

“We just have to continue to be supportive on and off the field, and work hard at practice,” Casanova said.

Farley hopes to continue with its momentum as they take on Lyons next week, while Breen Phillips will look to win its first game against Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh 21, Lyons 6

Cavanaugh relied on a stifling defense and a number of big plays provided by the offense to beat Lyons and prolong their undefeated start.

The mostly one-sided game started with the lone Lyons’ (1-2) touchdown pass from freshman quarterback Christina Bramanti to senior wide receiver and running back Neva Lundy. Cavanaugh’s (3-0) defense locked down the Lions for the rest of the game, a performance highlighted by an interception by senior defensive back Maggie Fahrenbach.

“I was just very impressed overall with the effort our defense showed and how prepared they were,” Cavanaugh defensive coach Tyler Smith said.

Cavanaugh also got it done on offense, as they answered the Lions’ early score with one of their own when junior wide receiver Megan Robinson reined in a deep pass by junior quarterback Becca Cink for a score, the pair’s first of two connections on the day. The Chaos would add to their lead later in the first half off of a running back pass to senior wide receiver Holly Hinz.

For the Lions, the loss came on the heels of an impressive victory last week and raises concerns for the players and coaches.

“We came into a more difficult team,” junior wide receiver Caroline Maroney said. “We relied on plays that worked for us last week and weren’t necessarily working for us this week.”

The Lions’ second loss threatens their playoff hopes, but the window isn’t closed yet.

“We’re going to finish .500,” coach Pat Mulhern said. “Hopefully we’ll get one of the wild card spots in the playoffs.”

Cavanaugh will look to close out their undefeated regular season next week against Breen Phillips, while Lyons gets set to face Farley with playoff hopes on the line.

Pasquerilla West 20, Walsh 6

Even the dreary weather couldn’t stop Pasquerilla West’s dynamic play in its win over Walsh Sunday.

Pasquerilla West players say they are eager to return to postseason play after a loss in the 2009 championship game.

“We won, which was good, but didn’t really play to our potential,” Pasquerilla West sophomore wide receiver Alice Yerokun said.

The Purple Weasels’ (3-0) defensive effort was their driving force throughout the first half. Pasquerilla West sophomore defender Aoibheann Thinnes intercepted a pass from Walsh (0-2) senior quarterback Amy Langnecker, but the Purple Weasels failed to convert the effort for a touchdown.

The majority of first half action took place in the final minute before halftime. After another interception by Pasquerilla West, senior quarterback Simone Bigi ran the ball 10 yards for the first touchdown of the game.

Then, with only one second remaining in the first half, Walsh quarterback Langnecker responded to the Purple Weasel’s touchdown by connecting with sophomore receiver Kat Leach on a 15-yard pass to even the scoring.

The second half was a different story. Pasquerilla West dominated play, as Bigi found Yerokun for one touchdown and later ran the ball two yards for another. Walsh failed to score after halftime.

Amanda Speigelberg, Walsh senior defensive captain, and the rest of the Wild Women did see many positive aspects in the game.

“We showed improvement from last week, and we’re ready to take on Welsh Family next weekend,” Speigelberg said.

Despite the victory, Pasquerilla West players said they see areas for improvement.

“We worked on running the ball today, but in the future we’d like to see some more passing,” senior wide receiver Mary Forr said.

The Purple Weasels look to continue their winning streak next week against Ryan, while Walsh tries to earn its first victory in a matchup with Welsh Family.

Pasquerilla East 13, Badin 0

In a tough defensive battle between two young teams each looking for their first wins, the outcome was determined by mistakes. Pasquerilla East minimized penalties in the game and took advantage of errant passes to defeat Badin.

The solid defensive play started early on in the game. Possession was juggled back and forth as both teams searched for the end zone. A two-way play by the Bullfrogs’ junior safety and receiver Ryan Cooney and Pyros’ freshman receiver and defensive back Kiah Schaefbauer resulted in a back-and-forth affair between the two squads, but no points came out of it, as Badin penalties stalled their offense.

Pasquerilla East proceeded to capitalize on risky passing plays by the Badin offense, with freshman defensive back Abby Kostielney and junior defensive back Nneka Ekechukwu snagging two interceptions for touchdowns, to give the Pyros a 13-0 lead at the half, and a scoreless second half secured the victory for the Pyros.

Senior coach Buchi Offodile praised the Pyros’ defensive backs as well as the offense’s ability to advance down the field.

“While our points came from the defense’s two picks, the offense moved the ball really well and would have finished if it hadn’t been for some miscues,” Offodile said. “Red zone offense will be our focus in practice this week.”

Badin coach Tommy Demetrio, though frustrated by penalties and interceptions, gave credit to both defenses.

“In an evenly matched game like that, it comes down to mistakes, and we made more than they did,” Demetrio said.

Badin faces Lewis next Sunday while Pasquerilla East plays Pangborn.

Editor’s Note: The scheduled game between Welsh Family and McGlinn was not played due to a Welsh Family forfeit for failure to report to the game on time. McGlinn (2-1) will enjoy a bye week next Sunday while Welsh Family (0-2) will look to win its first game against Walsh.