Break in the Bend: Off-campus movies

Back in the day, they only had one theater in this town and it only showed "Bridge Over the River Kwai" and "The Alamo." And they had to walk five miles uphill both way in the snow with no shoes or socks.

In the happening, expansive metropolis of South Bend and the surrounding area, there is a plethora of theater options (three), each showing a variety of excellent films worth seeing. Here's a quick look at where to go and what to see this Fall Break.

Theaters:

AMC Showplace South Bend 16, 450 W. Chippewa, South Bend

Cinemark Movies 14, 910 W. Edison, Mishawaka

Cinemark Movies 6 (second-run dollar theater) 6424 N. Grape, Mishawaka

Movies:

"Hereafter" – Clint Eastwood makes good movies. It opens this Friday.

"Red" – Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich come together for an action comedy. It may not be "Die Hard," but anywhere close would make for a pretty decent movie. Opens this Friday.

"The Social Network" – Here's a movie about a tool at Harvard (redundant?) who made a load of money by stealing ideas from a bunch of people. Few plotlines are true to real life.

"The Town" – An ensemble cast of fantastic actors with an intriguing storyline, this action drama is receiving a lot of early Oscar buzz.

"Secretariat" – My Computer Essentials teacher freshman year of high school said that Secretariat was the greatest athlete in sports history. That is patently false; horses aren't athletes, and besides, horse racing is barely a sport. But Secretariat was still kind of a big deal.

"Toy Story 3" – If you haven't seen it, see it. If you have, see it again. Showing at the dollar theater.

Kevin Noonan can be reached at knoonan2@nd.edu