Career Center hosts Arts & Letters week

The Career Center is focusing on internships, graduate schools and jobs for students in the College of Arts & Letters this week.

The "What's Next Week" events are geared helping Arts & Letters majors learn what they could do with their majors, said Rose Kopec, associate director of the Career Center.

"We have something for everybody," she said. "It doesn't matter what year you are in school or what major you are pursuing, all Arts & Letters students are welcome to attend."

Compared to last year, the Career Center moved "What's Next Week" from the first week of November to the first week of October so the students can take full advantage of the program, Kopec said.

"[Applying to jobs, internships and graduate school is a] very time consuming process and the sooner students getting started, the better," she said.

On Monday, the Career Center hosted an information session about the internship search.

The next event is a Wednesday session about graduate and professional school, Kopec said. She said it is aimed at sophomores, juniors and seniors who want to learn about the application process from a panel of experts.

Several companies — including AT&T, Cummins and Target — will be at a Thursday networking event. These companies value Arts & Letters majors who want to go into business, Kopec said.

"Students should come prepared with employers who already recognize the importance of their skills and background," Kopec said.

In addition to this week's events, the Career Center had funding opportunities dedicated to Arts & Letters students. Last year, the University distributed over $300,000 to students for various paid and unpaid internships through the Rogers Arts and Letters Internship Program, the Global Internship Initiative, INC @ ND, Alumni Legacy Fund and the Gluck Pioneer Internship Program.