Dash raises funds for charity

Even though the course looked decorated for Halloween, the participants in Psi Chi's "Monster Dash" 5K weren't ghouls and goblins, although some were dressed in costumes.

Psi Chi, Saint Mary's international psychology honor society, held the Halloween-themed race Sunday, complete with decorations along the course and optional costumes. The race included more than 250 participants running and walking Saint Mary's nature trails.

Psi Chi donated all proceeds to A Rosie Place, a center for medically fragile children.

"I participated because I really like to do races, especially for a good cause like A Rosie Place," said sophomore participant Whitney Thiel. "It's a great chance to become involved in the community. Plus, I love running, and enjoyed sharing the experience with my friends."

Senior Lauren Easton, Psi Chi president, met with other officers at the beginning of the year to decide on service events for the club. Being a cross country runner for Saint Mary's, she suggested the idea of a 5K race. Another officer, Leanna Perez, recommended A Rosie Place as the fund raising organization.

A Rosie Place assists children who require feeding tubes, wheel chairs, walkers or even oxygen, Tieal Bishop, O'Hana Heritage Foundation's executive director, said.

Children are invited to stay in the building, which is set up like a house and is hospital certified. O'Hana Heritage Foundation built this safe haven for children in 2008.

"Rosie Place is the first to serve this population of medically fragile children in the state of Indiana," Bishop said. the

Registration fees and donations from Monster Dash have the potential to benefit more than 2,000 children, Bishop said.

An exact dollar amount of the total donation to A Rosie Place has not been calculated because donations are still being received. Easton said she estimates a total of more than $1,000 raised for the charity.

"I just wanted to extend a tremendous ‘thank you' to everyone who helped out today — runners, walkers and also the volunteers. Everyone had a part in making this day a sensation," Easton said after the race. "We look forward to visiting A Rosie Place and presenting them with the final donation. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day and hopefully everyone enjoyed themselves out on the course."