Friends of Aaron Martinuzzi

Dear Notre Dame community,

On Aug. 20, 2010, Aaron Martinuzzi, my good friend, former roommate and classmate at Notre Dame, suffered a spinal cord injury in a diving accident that left him paralyzed from the shoulders down. I visited Aaron this weekend, and he is approaching his recovery with incredible strength, courage and determination. To that end, I am confident that he will achieve his goal of resuming his studies at the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, where he recently enrolled as a first-year medical student. But he needs our help.

As such, I am writing to ask everyone in the Notre Dame community to do anything they can to assist Aaron and his family in battling the daunting emotional and financial costs of his recovery. A foundation has been setup in his honor for this purpose, the stated objectives of which are:

• To provide support for Aaron during his rehabilitation and assist with the lifestyle needs his spinal cord injury will require;

• To purchase the necessary equipment (bed, wheelchair, transportation, technology) to sustain progress towards full engagement in the pursuit of independence and education; [and]

• To connect friends and family from … around the country, wh[o] have rallied to inspire Aaron and give him strength and encouragement.

Aaron and his family would greatly appreciate any support you can provide. Please rally around a fellow member of the Notre Dame family.

Donations can be made payable to "Friends of Aaron Martinuzzi" and mailed to PO Box 324, Milford, MI, 48381. More information can be found at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/aaronmartinuzzi/.

In Notre Dame,

Chris Lepore

alumnus

Class of 2008

Oct. 11