Game weekend attendance increases

Sam Stryker | Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The number of visitors on campus during football games this season has been much greater than it was in 2009, and the Pittsburgh game weekend was no exception, Director of Game Day Operations Mike Seamon said.

“The numbers are up because of the new energy with Coach Kelly and the team combined with being hospitable and opening the campus,” he said.

Director of Notre Dame Security Police Phil Johnson said three people were arrested outside the stadium and two people inside for public intoxication. In addition, 35 people who were removed for violating stadium rules, mostly for impairment or possession of alcohol.

“There were no citations issued by police for under age alcohol violation outside the stadium,” Johnson said.

Factors such as the roughly 5,800 people who walked through the Notre Dame Stadium tunnel on Friday led Game Day Operations to believe that the weekend was going to be busy, Seamon said.

“When people could forecast the weather earlier in the week, coming off a big win against Boston College, and Pittsburgh being a big game, you could tell it would be an exciting weekend,” he said.

Seamon also said attendance at the pep rally got a boost, with 14,214 fans watching former receiver Golden Tate provide some inspiration for the team’s victory.

“It was a perfect evening in terms of weather,” he said. “There was just a great spirit. It was a good way to kick off the weekend.”

This was the second pep rally in which a student walkover to Irish Green was held. Seamon said the feedback from campus has been positive in regards to this new tradition, which started the weekend of the Michigan game.

“I thought it was a successful evening,” he said. “It seems we have gotten a good response from the students.”

Attendance and energy on campus during the actual game day was also very encouraging, Seamon said, and contributed to the victory of the weekend as a whole.

“People had a good spirit and attitude,” he said. “With the big nature of the Pitt game and the weather, it was a hugely successful weekend.”

The theme of high fan participation also continued this weekend with on-site transportation, Seamon said. Student clubs raised money by giving 1,400 golf cart rides and 220 pedal cab rides.

“We had a lot of people using the pedal cabs and the golf carts, which shows that a lot of people were here enjoying game day,” he said.

Seamon said Game Day Operations has been working hard to consistently deliver a special experience for visitors to

Fighting Irish football games by providing unique opportunities on campus that only Notre Dame can offer.

“Our goal for everyone who is visiting campus is for them to experience everything that is wonderful about Notre Dame, be it the athletics, the academics, faith or the social life,” he said. “These are signature weekends for us.”