Golden is thy helmet

This year, there are two golden domes stand proudly on the University's campus — one atop the Main Building and the other in Sorin Hall.

Sorin junior Ruben Saldana sports a golden varsity helmet when he takes the field at defensive tackle for the Otters.

"Last year, when we were going for helmets, they actually ran out of the extra-large. Sorin had one of the last spots to go get pads, so there were a couple of us who were without helmets for a number of weeks before games started," Saldana said. "They ordered more helmets, and ... those also didn't fit. The Director of interhall football called the guy from the equipment room and, lo-and-behold, I ended up with a gold helmet."

While Saldana is honored to wear the golden gear, he learned that the extremely large helmet points out the obvious.

"I was stunned by it. It is an honor to have it. It's nice for Sorin to have a golden dome within it," Saldana said. "I didn't make it across the street without being stopped. I kind of stand out. I have a big head; I admit it."

All in fun, Saldana's teammates are sure to remind him of the size of his head, too.

"We just make fun of him for having such a big head," Sorin junior athlete Peter Teneriello said. "He is a scholar and a gentlemen, and there is no other player I would rather have the gold helmet than him.

"It makes me wish I had a big head."