Members approve 'The Shirt' president nominee

The Council of Representatives (COR) voted to approve the nominee for president of The Shirt Project 2011 and discussed Alcohol Awareness Week, which is co-sponsored by student government, at its meeting Tuesday.

Senior Christian Gigante, president of The Shirt 2010, gave members an update on the successes of last year's Shirt, which has sold 145,000 shirts so far, approaching the record 155,000 shirts sold in 2006.

The profit from The Shirt sales benefits various campus clubs and organizations, the rector funds and The Shirt Project Fund, which assists students with serious accidents or illnesses, Gigante said.

"That number, hopefully, will be close to $700,000 which is pretty exciting," Gigante said.

Gigante, who is responsible for the preliminary choice of the new president, introduced junior Lauren Marzouca, the nominated student.

Marzouca, a pre-professional major from McGlinn Hall, said she was excited to be president of the Project because she feels students should be reminded of where the money from the Project goes.

"I want to be president because I don't think people really know where the money goes. The money goes back to the students and people who need it," Marzouca said. "It means something more than just another T-shirt."