Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Men's Soccer: Irish face tough schedule

The No. 22 Irish will take to the familiar pitch of Alumni Stadium Wednesday night to face off against Marquette in the only home match of a difficult four-game stretch that takes the Irish to three different locations.

"I think the players will be fine," Irish coach Bobby Clark said. "The road trips last week were tough because the players were in the middle of midterms. Next week during fall break, it's almost like going on a trip with the team, so that'll be okay."

Before embarking on a three-game road trip over fall break, the Irish (5-3-3, 1-1-0 Big East) will look to bounce back from a tough loss to West Virginia as they take on a Golden Eagles (5-3-5, 0-0-2) squad that has either won or tied in each of its last six matches.

"Right now, Marquette's about as confident as they'll ever be," Clark said. "They're a good team, and they haven't lost in their last six games. We've watched a lot of video, a lot of tape on them."

The Irish will look to get back to their winning ways after a 2-1 loss to West Virginia. The Mountaineers scored 
two early goals to put the squad in a deep hole — evidence of a trend Clark said is becoming a concern.

"I think it's a good comparison to the United States national team at the World Cup this summer," Clark said. "It seemed like someone needed to score against them to light the fire underneath them. That's happened to us twice