Men’s Soccer: Irish head to Morgantown to take on WVU

Allan Joseph | Friday, October 8, 2010

Fresh off a 2-1 road win in Bloomington against Indiana Wednesday, the No. 22 Irish will pack their bags again and head to Morgantown, W. Va., Saturday to face West Virginia.

“It was hard enough playing them at home last year,” Irish coach Bobby Clark said. “If you tell me there’s an easy place to play in the conference, I’d like to see it. I think the toughest test for our guys is having two road trips back to back. They need to prepare themselves physically.”

The Irish (5-2-3) enter the contest on a modest two-game win streak and have not lost dating back to a 2-0 loss to Michigan State on Sept. 19. An 80th minute goal from junior midfielder Adam Mena gave the Irish the late-game edge against the Hoosiers. Clark said the team needs to focus on the here and now to avoid getting caught up in the recent win streak.

“Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but my mood doesn’t change much based on what’s going on as far as streaks,” Clark said. “The only thing we discuss as a team is how we play together, you know, can we play together as a team? If we do that, we put ourselves in position to win every game.”

The Mountaineers (5-3-2) come into the game looking to knock off the Irish for the second straight year and notch a Big East win. The Mountaineers are led by sophomore forward Moeryhan Doue, who leads the team with five goals and twelve points. Though the game is of particular

importance as the Irish look to continue their Big East success punctuated by wins against St. John’s and Providence, Clark is more focused on playing good soccer than worrying about conference standings.

“It’s not so much about a conference game,” Clark said. “We’ve got to somehow get to a point where we can win every game we come out for.”

One Irish player who will be riding a swell of good fortune into the West Virginia game is senior forward Jeb Brovsky, who was named a finalist for the Lowe’s Senior Class Award. Brovsky has recovered from an early season ankle injury and ranks second on the team with two goals this season, behind senior forward Steven Perry’s five.

“He’s grown really nicely as a player, and obviously as a person and a leader,” Clark said. “I think Notre Dame does a good job of developing young men and women during their time here. The atmosphere of the campus helps them to see outside themselves. He’s really becoming just a fine young man.”

The Irish will face off against the Mountaineers at 7:30 p.m. Saturday night.