Men's Tennis: Senior Havens continues winning ways at Notre Dame

All Irish senior Stephen Havens knows how to do is win, as it's all he's ever done in his tennis career.

The singles player has seen success at both the high school and collegiate levels. He was named to the All-Ohio team each year in high school, and was named an All-American as a senior after claiming state championship honors in both singles and doubles.

Havens didn't miss a beat in his transition to college tennis after arriving at Notre Dame. He stepped up as a freshman and contributed immediately during his first season with the Irish after earning a singles spot early in the year. He went 20-21 during that first season (9-5 in the open season) and gained some valuable experience that has helped him in the three seasons since.

Irish assistant coach Ryan Sachire praised Havens for the many roles he's played for the team.

"This is Stephen's fourth year starting for us, and he has done it as both a singles and doubles player," he said. "There has not been a dual in which he has not played both, a feat that no one in his class has matched."

Havens been a constant on the court for the Irish and has won several big matches for the Irish over the past few seasons.

"He has gotten a few match-clinching victories, including one against Texas A&M, a top ten school, two years ago," Sachire said. "He isn't the most vocal player, but he is certainly respected."

Sachire also added that Havens' lasting mark on the program is still to come, despite all of the accolades he has earned up to this point.

"His legacy is still to come," he said. "He hasn't been as consistent as he wants to be. He has some unfinished business. He is determined to be a superstar and get an All-American banner on the wall."