ND Volleyball: Weekend sweep completed over USF, Georgetown

Michael Todisco | Monday, October 4, 2010

The Irish swept another weekend of conference matches, defeating both South Florida and Georgetown in straight sets to run their Big East regular season winning streak to 19 games, dating back to the 2008 season.

The team played Friday, traveling to Tampa to take on South Florida. The Irish (11-5, 4-0 Big East) defeated the Bulls (7-8, 3-1) in straight sets 3-0 (25-19, 25-17, 25-20) in what was the 1,000th match in Notre Dame volleyball history.

Irish coach Debbie Brown said she was pleased with the cohesion her team showed against the Bulls.

“I told the team after the game that our match against South Florida may have been the best team effort I have seen in my time at Notre Dame,” she said. “We competed really well for every point and showed a very strong competitive drive.”

Freshman outside hitter Andrea McHugh’s 11 kills and junior libero Frenchie Silva’s 11 digs led the way for Notre Dame.

The Irish traveled to Georgetown (12-8,2-2) Sunday for a match against the Hoyas. The Irish earned a 3-0 (25-13, 25-22, 25-19) victory behind another strong performance by McHugh, who finished with 19 kills.

Despite the strong individual efforts, Brown said that the weekend was defined by the ability of every member of the team to step up when needed.

“Whether it was for one serve or to come in and focus on blocking, anyone who was called off the bench thrived in the role that they were given,” Brown said.

Despite extending the conference streak to 19 games following an undefeated conference record in 2009, Brown stressed that the team doesn’t focus on streaks and records.

“While it’s nice to have all this success, we don’t dwell on that type of stuff,” Brown said. “We focus one game at a time with the goal of defending our Big East season title.”

Notre Dame has now dominated all four Big East matches this year, winning each in straight sets.

“The last four matches have shown what we are capable of … being a young team, the maturity we have gained through game experience has helped us really develop,” Brown said.

The Irish will continue their conference schedule next weekend, when they travel to Louisville and Cincinnati.