ND Women's Soccer: Defensive Domination

Offense, defense and goalkeeping — up until this weekend, Irish coach Randy Waldrum was pleased with his team's performance in the latter two. But after a convincing weekend sweep over Syracuse and St. John's, Waldrum said he believes all three are operating in midseason form.

No. 5/7 Notre Dame (10-1, 4-0 Big East) shut out the Orange 3-0 Friday night in a dominating performance on both sides of the ball, before putting together a 4-1 dismantling of St. John's Sunday afternoon.

"You want to try to distance yourself as much as you can, so it was a good weekend," Waldrum said. "But probably more importantly, what I've been real pleased about the last two weekends, is offensively we're starting to click and create more chances and score more goals."

It's no coincidence that Notre Dame's recent onslaught on the scoreboard comes on the heels of a remarkable offensive run by junior forward Melissa Henderson. The All-American netted two goals apiece this weekend, and has now tallied 6 goals and two assists (14 points) in her last three games.

"Melissa Henderson was fantastic this whole weekend," Waldrum said. "She was dangerous every time she touched the ball … to me, she's the best forward in the country. And we keep telling her that