ND Women's Swimming & Diving: Irish travel to East Lansing for meet

Notre Dame will look to protect its perfect record in the pool against Michigan State when the Irish travel to East Lansing, Mich., today.

The Irish (0-2), who are looking to rebound from losses at a three-team meet to LSU and Auburn last weekend, are 6-0 all time against the Spartans.

Senior All-American Samantha Maxwell was one of only two Notre Dame swimmers to earn a victory at Auburn. She said she believed a focus on fundamentals has left the team much improved since their SEC showdown last weekend.

"Our team has really focused on cleaning up some of the mechanics of our races," Maxwell said. "This week we have specifically worked on starts, turns and underwater kicking. We are looking forward to and getting the chance to showcase these improvements."

Making these improvements in practice, however, has not been an easy task for the Irish. Many setbacks have tested the team, but Maxwell said the team has admirably persevered, and says that the squad is in good position heading into Michigan State.

"We have been facing sickness and injury but are continuing to train through it and to train with purpose," she said. "This is the time during the season that the girls on our team really show how tough they are."

Maxwell said a victory at Michigan State would require a full team effort. This means not only do the swimmers need to have a strong showing, but the divers must also be sharp.

"Our divers have been putting in a tremendous amount of time on the boards which is great because they are critical point scorers for our team as well," she said.

Maxwell said she was excited for the team to compete against a Big Ten opponent and believes that the meet will be tightly contested.

"We have a great opportunity to head to East Lansing and race a Big Ten school in their own environment," she said. "Both teams are going to be putting up a fight to get a win and it's going to provide an atmosphere for some honest racing at this point in the season."

The meet will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday at the McCaffre Pool in East Lansing.