ND Women's Swimming: Irish head south after first place relay finish

The Irish will head south over Fall Break in an attempt to tame a pair of Tigers in SEC opponents No. 8 Auburn and No. 25 Louisiana State.

Despite the highly ranked competition, Irish coach Brian Barnes believes his team will be able to perform well in the event.

"We know that Auburn and LSU will be very tough opponents," he said. "I still expect our team to go down there and be competitive against a couple of really good teams."

Barnes stressed that his team's demeanor and attitude will be essential for the Irish to be successful.

"We need to approach this meet with confidence and poise, and believe that we have the ability to keep up with [Auburn and LSU]," Barnes said.

Notre Dame will be looking to build off a successful start to the season, as they took first place at the Dennis Stark Relays on Oct. 8. Although the Irish had a strong showing at the relays, there were still many areas that Barnes wanted to work on heading into the non-conference showdown.

"We need to look at our starts and turns as a team," he said. "We have been happy with our racing between the walls, but changing directions and being around the walls is something we have put a real emphasis on."

Barnes also stressed the fundamentals to his team during practice this week in an effort to improve going into next weekend's event.

"We spent a lot of times up on the blocks this week. We have really been relearning mechanics and improving our starts," Barnes said.

The tri-team meet will be held at Auburn on Oct. 22, with races beginning at 3 p.m.