ND Women’s Tennis: Irish open season at Eck Tennis Classic

Matt Robison | Friday, October 1, 2010

Notre Dame will kick off its fall season at the Eck Tennis Classic in the Eck Tennis Pavilion this weekend. The Irish will host several teams from around the region, including Akron, Miami (Oh.), Dayton, Kansas, Ohio State and Tulsa.

This weekend will mostly be a learning experience for the entire squad, but especially for the freshmen, who have been preparing themselves for the demands of collegiate competition for the last few months. The Eck Tennis Classic will be their first opportunity to test their mettle.

“It is exciting to have our freshmen to play their first college matches at home,” Irish coach Jay Louderback said.

Although singles play will be the major focus of the matches this weekend, the Irish will get to switch up the doubles to see what works.

“This fall is the time we use to look at different doubles combinations to get us ready for the spring season,” Louderback said.

So far, the only competition the Irish have faced is that of their teammates.

“We are ready to play some other teams,” Louderback said. “We have been beating up on each other for a while in practice and are ready for the tournament.”

The way the individual players perform will tell the coaches much about how they have been preparing themselves over the summer and thus far in the fall. Conditioning, shot-making and court presence will all be evaluated.

“We are working on quite a few things with each student athlete and are going to look to see how they react in a match situation.”

There will be two rounds of singles and one round of doubles played today, the first of the three-day tournament. Play will be separated into three brackets.

Juniors Kristy Frilling and Shannon Mathews will sit out this weekend, as they will be participating in the National Indoor Invitational starting Oct. 7.

Play will begin today at 9 a.m. at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.