-

-

SMC Cross Country: Squad goes to Chicago to compete in tourney

Katherine Mack | Friday, October 1, 2010

Coming off of an impressive top-three finish in the MIAA Jamboree last weekend, Saint Mary’s will head to Chicago Saturday to compete in the Sean Earl Invitational race.

The race will be hosted by Loyola University and will surely present tough competition, as 40 colleges and universities and more than 4,000 participants will be competing.

“We are really looking forward to Sean Earl this weekend,” Belles coach Jackie Bauters. “It will be our last 5K of the season, and so we are hoping to see some stellar times from the whole team. The team has practiced hard all week and I’m excited to see how the workouts will pay off this weekend.”

The race will spearhead Saint Mary’s momentum for the remainder of the season, as the season is drawing towards a close for the Belles.  Saint Mary’s has two remaining weekends of racing before the MIAA Championships take place at the end of October.

“That being said, it is another step towards our ultimate goal of being ready to race well at the end of October. There will be a lot of great teams for us to compete against this weekend.”

Junior Joanne Almond and Sophomore Julia Kenney are Saint Mary’s top racers going into Saturday, as they have had the top two times in every race thus far.  In last week’s MIAA Jamboree, Almond led the way for the Belles with a time of 23:42, with Kenney coming up close behind at 24:01.

“As far as Jo [Joanne] and Julia, I’m really interested to see what Julia puts out there this weekend and how much of the gap she closes between herself and Joanne,” said Bauters. “She has been looking really good in the workouts and I feel like she’s at a point to make up some ground.”

The Belles hope to compete just as impressively on Saturday as they did last weekend with strong performances all around.

“It should be a fun weekend — the team always looks forward to this race,” Bauters said.

The Sean Earl Invitational will take place in Chicago this Saturday, with a start time of noon.