SMC hosts fall show for cancer

Fall is here, and with the cold starting to creep up, students are changing from summer's shorts and tanks to fall's jeans and scarves. Saint Mary's will be holding a Runway Fall Fashion Show on Oct. 7 at 6 p.m. in the Dining Hall to give students ideas for fall fashions, junior Brianne Suckow said.

Suckow, the Women's Health and Wellness commissioner for Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA), said the event will give 15 percent of the proceeds to support Vera Bradley Breast Cancer Awareness and Research.

"One in eight women will develop breast cancer during her lifetime, so raising awareness about the disease is important, especially at an all-women's college," Suckow said.

This fashion show will be featuring fall trends from Flourish Boutique and Gallery, run by a Saint Mary's alumna, Vanessa Cooreman Smith, located in Granger, Ind.

Models for the event, which are current Saint Mary's students who submitted applications, were chosen based on different hair color, ethnicities and sizes, Suckow said.

Each model will be showing two different outfits.

According to Flourish Boutique's website, the Saint Mary's models will be showing all different ranges of styles from different brands, including Cupcake, Shennel, CC Couture, Berek and Signette.

There is no admission fee or ticket required to attend this event, Suckow said.

Flourish Boutique and Gallery will have their clothes, shoes, jewelry, artwork and other accessories available for purchase in the Student Center Atrium on Oct. 7 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Flourish carries sizes XS to XL or 4 to 16. Students will receive a 15 percent discount, Suckow said.

Along with Flourish Boutique's sale, pink hairstreaks will be offered for purchase from Cilantro Hair Spa in the Student Center.

The first 20 people who come to purchase a pink hairstreak will receive a $20 gift card to Cilantro Hair Spa.

On Oct. 7, the Saint Mary's Noble Family Dining Hall will be providing pink-colored food. This ranges from pink-frosted desserts to pink applesauce.

"We have received a great response and a lot of enthusiasm from the student body about this event," Suckow said.