SMC pushes gift campaign

Alicia Smith | Tuesday, October 12, 2010

To encourage students to make their class gift and educate them about the benefits of donating to Saint Mary’s College, the Class Gift Campaign (CGC) hosted its second annual launch party Monday.

The event was held in the West Wing of the Noble Family Dining Hall during dinner hours.

Molly Gorszczyk, CGC co-chair, said the event was created to draw attention to the mission of the CGC as well as allow students to meet and get to know members of the campaign.

“The launch party is pretty much just a way for us to get publicity up of who we are and what we do,” Gorszczyk said. “It’s the first chance all of our girls get for the year to make their donation of class gift. It’s pretty much the starting of our season of campaigning and fundraising and trying to get the class gifts.”

Gorszczyk said the event invited students to enjoy themselves while learning about the CGC. Students were also encouraged to make their donation to the CGC for their class.

According to Gorszczyk, the campaign works during the academic year to earn money for each class’ senior gift. Each class decides which gift it would like to donate to the College.

“The class gift campaign is a student organization, and we are the ones that encourage raising all the money to give Saint Mary’s that each class gives when they graduate,” she said. “Along with that we encourage the importance of philanthropy and giving back to Saint Mary’s. [Saint Mary’s College] just [relies] on giving back so much and they encourage it so much that we try to encourage our students to give back as well.”

According to Gorszczyk, during the launch party, students had the opportunity to break open a piñata, play corn hole, listen to music and meet with members of the CGC.

“People can come make their class gift, they can ask us questions, they can get to know us,” Gorszczyk said. “[The Launch Party is] kind of like a meet and greet type deal so they [students] can actually get to know what the Class Gift Campaign is.”

The CGC also plans to offer other events throughout the academic year. Gorszczyk said the CGC will offer Give Back Night at Hacienda on Oct. 25. Karaoke Idol, an event that allows students to sing karaoke in front of faculty and staff judges, will also be held on Nov. 18.

Gorszczyk said she hopes to bring awareness to the importance of the CGC.

“I think it’s really important just because we have a tradition that part of our gift to give back is a scholarship of some form or scholarship money,” she said. “That’s really important just because so many girls are on scholarship. Ninety- four percent of the student body right now is on scholarship. So if we can encourage girls to give back now that would also encourage them to give back after they graduate.”

The CGC doesn’t just ask for donations from juniors and seniors, instead, they encourage first-year students to donate money as well.

“We work really hard and start looking freshman year to raise a gift so you can give something amazing back to Saint Mary’s to thank them for the amazing time you had here,” Gorszczyk said. “Also, you try to raise the pride of Saint Mary’s that you have in your four years and beyond after you graduate and so you’re always proud to be a Saint Mary’s girl and you’re so proud of your school.”

The CGC asks that students donate whatever amount they feel comfortable giving, but also encourages each student to donate the amount of their class year, Gorszczyk said.

“We are encouraging all students to try to at least give their class year, so a senior would give $20.11, juniors would give $20.12,” Gorszczyk said. “But they are free to give as much as they want, and we appreciate everything they give and we understand that everybody’s situation is a little different so what they can give might not be the same as others.”