SMC Soccer: Belles finish season with win

Saint Mary's closed the book on a tough season with a win over Trine.

The Belles (3-16, 1-7 MIAA) traveled to Trine University (3-15-1, 0-8) for a 3-1 victory. Trine got on the board first less than five minutes into the game with a goal from senior Jen Wall. The Belles responded in the 24th minute with an unassisted goal from junior Katelyn Tondo-Steele. Two minutes later, sophomore Maddie Mecks knocked in a header off a pass from freshman Mollie Valencia for a 2-1 lead.

In the 35th minute, Tondo-Steele scored the Belles' third goal off an assist from sophomore Ashley Morfin. Sophomore goalkeeper Caitlin Walsh had two saves in goal on the night to hold Saint Mary's lead.

The Belles fired 11 shots overall, seven of which were on goal, while the Thunder got 10 shots off. The shots on goal came from senior Corissa Hart, junior Keely Noonan, Tondo-Steele and Mecks.

Belles coach Michael Joyce credits the tenacity of his players with their success.

"I think our work rate is second to none in the league," Joyce said. "Our players will give everything they have until the final whistle."

The Belles have faced a season of tough competitors but are excited to head into the off-season with a win.

"We're looking at the game as a setup for next year. We want to finish our season out on a positive note so we're motivated in the off-season," Joyce said. "We've competed this year but need to get a little better and are just missing one or two more quality players to really make a leap in the conference.

With only one senior this year, I'm hopeful that recruiting will go well and we'll be in the win column more next year."