SMC Volleyball: Belles hold fundraiser for cancer

Tonight will be a special opportunity for Saint Mary's, both on and off the court. The Belles will be holding their annual "Dig for the Cure Event" during their home match against Olivet this evening.

The team, along with other participants, will be going around the stands asking for donations throughout the evening. They are asking fans to pledge an amount of money for each dig they pick up during the match.

Also, pink shirts and desserts will be sold. All proceeds will go towards breast cancer research and awareness.

"This is a very special night for us as we will be playing not only for a win but also for something bigger than ourselves," Belles coach Toni Kuschel said. "We will be helping to raise awareness and money for the fight against breast cancer."

The Belles (4-14, 2-7 MIAA) snapped their seven match losing streak with a 3-2 victory over Albion Saturday and are looking to defeat another conference opponent with Olivet (7-8, 4-6) coming to town.

Kuschel said the Belles need to have a particularly strong performance against the Comets to notch a second consecutive victory.

"We will need to bring a lot of energy to the match," she said. "We will also need to click offensively, as well as play great defense."

The Comets defeated the Belles in their only match up to this point, 3-1. It was a tightly contested match, but Olivet took home the victory in four sets (25-22, 25-22, 19-25, 25-16).

Following their match against Olivet, Saint Mary's will have only six conference regular season games before the MIAA Tournament begins. Kuschel said that strong play is needed in these final few weeks.

"We need to continually get better all around," she said. "We have a very young team that will be vital for our success for the rest of the season, as well as in the future."

The match begins at 7 p.m. at Saint Mary's, as the Belles look to win on the court and contribute to a victory against breast cancer.