-

-

Students discuss local restaurant discounts

Kelly Murphy | Thursday, October 7, 2010

During its meeting Wednesday, the College’s Student Government Association (SGA) discussed a program that would give Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students discounts at local restaurants.

Student body president Rachael Chelsey said letters were sent out to local businesses, such as Chipotle, and she said hopefully many will start to respond.

Members of SGA brainstormed ideas for how to advertise and publicize the discount programs. Some ideas include hanging signs around campus, putting fliers into every Saint Mary’s student’s mailbox, creating a fan page on Facebook, installing table tents in Noble Dining Hall and putting the information on Saint Mary’s website.

“The ultimate plan for this is for it to begin after fall break. However, it is a matter of when we get responses from the restaurants and businesses,” Chesley said. “It might start off as a smaller program, but it is important to look at how we can leave our mark.”

The discounts offered from each business will be left up to the individual business’ discretion, she said.

SGA also discussed the Pack Saint Mary’s With You program, which will take place over fall break, said admissions commissioner Liz Busam.

This program encourages Saint Mary’s students to go back to their high schools and talk positively about their experience at the College. There will be students sitting outside the Noble Dining Hall atrium with sign-up sheets.

“This is a great way to generate that energy and pride we have for Saint Mary’s,” Busam said.

If students participate in the program, their names will be entered into a drawing to win a $50 gift card to the new bookstore, she said.

If successful, the program could continue over the Thanksgiving or Christmas break.