Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Women's Rowing: Rowers to face off against Tulsa

After finishing third at their first event of the fall season at the Head of the Rock Regatta in Rockford, Ill., the Irish are shooting to top Tulsa on the Saint Joseph River during Friday and Saturday's dual meet.

After a brief layoff due to fall break, Notre Dame coach Martin Stone said his team is anxious to compete.

"There was a little rust earlier in the week, but I saw today we were ready to go," he said.

In any sport, competing on familiar territory usually aids the home team, and collegiate rowing is no different, Stone said.

"It's like a time trial; you're racing against the clock," Stone said. "We practice every day on our course and we know how fast it takes to get to certain points."

However, Stone said the Irish will not be taking the Golden Hurricane lightly, especially given their performance at the Head of the Oklahoma Regatta three weeks ago, where Tulsa advanced seven boats to the finals.

"I know that they've raced very well," Stone said. "They put up some good times at the Head of the Oklahoma."

Friday's action will consist of head races between eight-man boats, so each shell will begin the race in 10-15 second intervals and row in one direction. Saturday morning, four-man boats will compete in a stake race, which employs the same staggered start but requires the shells to race to a point, turn around, and race back.

"Saturday is a little more tricky," Stone said. "It requires stopping and spinning the boat around a buoy."

Stone said he hoped Irish fans would come cheer on the team on its home course.

"The best place to come and watch on Saturday morning is down at the bridge by the farmer's market," Stone said.

Friday's races begin at 4:30 p.m., and Saturday's will start at 10 a.m.