A magical ending

Where will you be at midnight on Thursday, Nov. 18?

For seniors and juniors, the answer is most likely Fever. For sophomores and freshman, it's probably on their way out of a sketchy dorm party in Zahm.

But for those who have followed the legacy of Harry Potter, from his fateful 11th birthday all the way until the infamous last battle scene, the answer is Cinemark 14.

The first installment of the seventh movie marks the beginning of the end of an era. After the books were finished, enthusiasts still had the movies to look forward to, at least. But, as thousands of people have asked themselves, what's left after the movies are finished as well?

Because this is such a sensitive time for many, myself included, I'd like to set some guidelines for non-Harry Potter fans.

First, in my opinion, midnight showings should be for book-readers only. I don't care if you saw all six movies 12 times; if you really love Harry, Ron and Hermione you would want to experience them in every possible form of media.

Second, if you must go, there will be no ridiculing of the experience allowed. Yes, there will be people dressed as wizards with lightning bolts drawn on their foreheads, but that's only their way of expressing their affection for the wizarding world.

You might want to think about dressing up as well — that way at least people will assume you're a diehard follower even if you don't know a Hallow from a Horcrux.

Obviously, talking during the movie will not be tolerated and I expect fellow fans to join together and unceremoniously throw the stupid Muggle out of the theater.

Most importantly, if you have not read every book and seen every movie, please refrain from making any negative comments about the film. Positive reactions are always welcome, and while I'm sure the movie will deserve some negative words, leave it to those who know what they're talking about.

For your own good, stay far away from any conversation involving the differences between the book and the movie. This is the climax of the movie-going experience for fans. Don't make comments about opinions you "heard from people who read the books." We'll only tell you how ignorant you are and proceed to disregard anything you say.

And finally, if you have any sense in your head, you will go out, buy all seven books and six movies and get completely caught up before the final installment of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is released.

Because once that movie comes out, the only Harry Potter experience that will be available is located in Universal Studios, Orlando, and it will cost you a lot more than a movie ticket.

The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.

Contact Melissa Flanagan at mflanag3@nd.edu