Fashion by Felicia

There is nothing more exhilarating than attention to detail. What do I mean by this? Exhibit A: East Entrance to Hesburgh Library one dreary fall afternoon. A high heel-clad fashion devotee, laden with a satchel full of books, left arm cradling a mass of notebooks and her faithful agenda, with her right hand clutching her mid-day caffeine fix (a large latte), approaches the doors which will lead to a long evening of research and study. As she looks up, approaching from said library's interior appears one of her male collegiate counterparts. Thank goodness, she thinks, a gallant knight come to open the doors for me to the temple of knowledge! Alas, ‘tis not to be. Said young man opens said door in question, exits hurriedly, ignoring this damsel in distress, and strides away.

Exhibit B: A few seconds later, this same fashion devotee stares at said doors attempting to find an imaginative solution to their opening which does not involve the phrase "Open Sesame." A second member of the opposite gender appears. Noting the distress with which his fairytale counterpart is eyeing these challenging portals, he smiles and holds the door open, allowing for the disappearance of the damsel in distress and the appearance of a wide-eyed, grateful princess prepared to render the appropriate thank you to what she now perceives as her knight in shining Armani. Where this fairy tale leads will obviously depend on the results of their first shopping excursion together, but that tale, dear readers, is for another time. The crux of this story lies in the ability of an unexpected detail to change our day for the better. And that is precisely what patterned hosiery has been doing since the invention of nylon in 1935.

On the other side of the pond, the incorporation of every different kind of stocking into one's daily outfit is accomplished with an unbridled fearlessness. Europeans devote whole stores to hosiery: in these boutiques you can find stockings in every color imaginable (one of my friends once bought a shocking teal variety in Paris' sixth arrondissement) and every pattern — fishnets, ribbed, checked, even floral!

With the advent of cooler weather, our wardrobes often seem to become dull and monotonous. You may feel as though you wear the same pants or dress ad nauseum. However, with an eye-catching pair of hose, the same dress can become part of a whole new outfit. Pairing a bright red hose with a black dress can instantly make your look pop. You can also match the color of your hosiery to your accessories, making that purple bag you've been dying to wear finally work with your final fashion presentation.

While some may think fishnets are questionable attire, Italian women have been wearing them to the office for forever (proof of this lies in any 1960s cinematic endeavor involving the great Sophia Loren). Add a pair to a knee length skirt and comfortable heels, or even better, wear them underneath a pair of pants with flats. The different textures will create a canvas that rivals any Picasso. Moreover, stockings take up negligible room in the small spaces allotted for closets in our time-honored housing institutions: the dorms. Forever 21 offers a wide variety for just $3.50 a pair. Details, you've never looked better!

Contact Felicia Caponigri at fcaponig@nd.edu@nd.edu