Fencing: Bentley earns bronze at Penn St.

Michael Todisco | Monday, November 15, 2010

Notre Dame traveled to Happy Valley this weekend to compete in the Garret Open where junior Reggie Bentley brought home a bronze medal for the Irish. The event featured top fencing squads from across the country including Penn State, University of Pennsylvania and Princeton.

The women’s portion of the tournament took place Saturday. Irish freshman Lian Osier finished first for the Notre Dame women in the sabre. Osier fell in the medal round to Monika Aksamit from Penn State and finished fourth in the event.

Many of the top Notre Dame women did not compete in the tournament. Juniors Beatriz Almeida, Courtney Hurley, and Ewa Nelip competed in the World Championships in Paris hosted by the International Fencing federation.

Bentley claimed bronze in the foil event with a win over Penn State’s Michael El-Saleh. Irish coach Janusz Bednarski was pleased with Bentley’s performance.

“He was able to beat a Penn State fencer, which is very good news for us because we are always in competition with them,” Bednarski said. “To get a win there is a great achievement.”

Senior Gregory Schoolcraft also competed in a medal match for the Irish. He fell in the epee bronze medal match to Princeton’s Edward Kelley.

Overall, Bednarski drew positive results from the competition they faced.

“We fenced pretty strong in this event, and are pleased to come away with a bronze medal,” Bednarski said.