International Student Services promotes Education Week

The Office of International Student Services and Activities is presenting a series of events this week to promote International Education Week at Notre Dame.

McKenna Pencak, assistant director of communication and outreach for International Student Services and Activities, said the week would promote an understanding of different cultures.

"I think this week is important to the Notre Dame community because it allows students to enjoy other countries and cultures," Pencak said.

She also mentioned it is important for students to learn about other cultures because Notre Dame has such a large international student population.

International Education Week events began Monday with a dessert reception and screening of the film "Streetball." The film follows the stories of eight men as they journey from playing soccer on the streets of South Africa to playing in the Homeless World Cup game.

"It is a great story of people defying the odds and overcoming everything to accomplish a dream," Pencak said about the film.

Mike Mastrocinque, the film's associate producer, was also in attendance to answer questions from the audience.

Other events include the International Taste of South Bend, today from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the LaFortune Ballroom. Local restaurants will showcase their international cuisine, and the event is free and open to all members of the Notre Dame community.

Ten Thousand Villages, a non-profit organization that helps craftsmen in third world countries, will sell crafts in the Hesburgh Library Atrium from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day this week, Pencak said.

The Asian American Association of Notre Dame will present its annual Asian Allure show both Friday and Saturday in Washington Hall. Pencak said students perform songs and dances from Asian cultures during the show, which has been well attended in previous years.

All International Education Week events will benefit the Saint Joseph's County Red Cross, which Pencak said is a new addition this year. The money will go toward The Red Cross' aid for international refugees who resettle in South Bend from all over the world.

Attendees at all events this week are encouraged to bring household items to support this cause, Pencak said. There will be collection boxes at all events.

Pencak said this week is a good way for students to learn about other cultures while staying close to Notre Dame.

"Students can get a touch of the world while still being in the United States," she said.