Magazine switches to Web edition

Ashley Charnley | Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Saint Mary’s yearly literary magazine, “Chimes,” is getting a new look this year.

Seniors Sarah Sheppard and Meghan Price, co-editors of “Chimes,” are now taking submissions and recruiting for the spring edition of the magazine, which will be published online only.

Sheppard said will they accept submissions from any Saint Mary’s student no matter her major or area of study. The magazine began in 1892, according to the Cushwa-Leighton Library website.

“We accept poetry, short stories, plays excerpts from novels or novellas; really anything fiction. There are art submissions too,” Sheppard said.

Not all submissions are guaranteed to run in the magazine, Sheppard said. “Chimes” has an editorial board of 10 to 15 students that read over each submission and then discuss what pieces will go into the final edition.

“We’ll have a meeting in November or December then we have two submission dates. One’s in the winter and one’s in the spring,” she said.

The first submission date for students is Dec. 1, Sheppard said.

In the past, the “Chimes” board has sifted through up to 60 pages of prose and poetry to narrow down and put together an edition.

Previously, the publication has had a print version, but in order to accept more submissions, Sheppard said they have moved to creating only an online edition of “Chimes.”

“That is the best part about switching over to online, we can print a lot more,” Sheppard said.

Price said the final publication is e-mailed to alumnae and professors so the student work is more widely read.

Students are not limited as to what they can send in to “Chimes,” but Sheppard said they generally only print two or three pieces from a single author.

“We accept as many submissions as someone wants to send,” Sheppard said.

Price said “Chimes” is still looking for students interested in editing as well as writing submissions. She added that she enjoyed seeing the creativity of Saint Mary’s students.

“I got into ‘Chimes’ because I love editing and publishing,” Price said. “That is what I want to go into. It’s a great group of girls. Girls get into it and it’s really fun to read all the interesting things girls here write.”