SGA launches finance committee

In an effort to run Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) more efficiently and consistently, the Board created a Finance Committee to supplement its weekly meetings, student body president Rachael Chesley said.

"The SGA Finance Committee was implemented in order to enhance clarity, transparency and consistency in regards to financial policies, sponsorships and travel grants," Chesley said.

Clubs and organizations can apply for event sponsorships and travel grants if the group travels somewhere in representation of Saint Mary's College, she said.

In years past, these requests were brought before the entire board for review, but the Finance Committee will now handle grant applications.

"The newly established Finance Committee focuses on the sponsorships, travel grants and finances for SGA, so that SGA can focus on issues, initiatives and the student body during the big board meetings once a week," Chesley said.

Chesley said the committee allows for more to be accomplished during SGA's Wednesday evening meetings.

"It has allowed SGA to focus meetings on campus initiatives, such as the Co-Ex meal ticket reconfiguration, Students for South Bend Discount Program in tangent with Notre Dame and Holy Cross College, the SMC-SGA website, and the social place in Le Mans Hall basement currently being designed and planned," Chesley said.

Committee members include Board executives who meet separately from the larger board, but are still answerable to all members of SGA, she said.

Chesley said the Finance Committee is comprised of six members: treasurer, SGA president and vice president, chief of staff, secretary and campus club commissioner.

"Although this committee is small, it is held accountable through the Finance Committee Bylaws, SGA Constitution as well as the entire SGA board," Chesley said.

Chesley said she believes the new committee also helps remove unfairness in giving out funds.

If a club or organization does not agree with the decision made by the smaller committee, they are able to appeal to the larger board. If the larger board votes that the appeal is valid, then the Finance Committee will meet again on the issue.

"The Finance Committee has removed bias and increased consistency and efficiency," Chesley said.

Students interested in applying for their clubs or organizations can find forms in the SGA office on the second floor of the Student Center or on the student government website, she said. They can also contact SGA with questions.

"Sponsorship and Travel Grant forms must be turned in 15 business days before the event or day of travel, and forms must include necessary documentation for expenses listed on the form as well," Chesley said.