-

-

Skyline’ sure to be a spectacle

Ankur Chawla | Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sci-Fi masterminds the Brothers Strause (“Alien vs. Predator,” “The X-Files”) are the directors and producers behind the thriller “Skyline” opening in theaters this weekend. The company providing the visual effects, Hydraulx, has an even shinier résumé having done movies such as “Avatar,” “300,” “Iron Man 2” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.”

It is sure to be a spectacle.

The film follows the events preceding and following odd lights descending on Los Angeles. People are drawn to the site like moths towards a light, where alien forces threaten to remove human population off the face of the earth.

The trailer begins by showing families fast asleep, with the location and time flashing across the screen much like a documentary. Suddenly, beams of light shine down from the sky, waking up the unsuspecting citizens of L.A. Suddenly, UFO’s begin circling skyscrapers and abducting individuals and a TV report mentions all major cities are having a similar encounter. Sequences of epic plane battle scenes and frantic running close out the trailer, and definitely got me pumped to go see it.

Eric Balfour (“24,” “The Spirit”), Scottie Thompson (“NCIS”) and Donald Faison (“Scrubs”) star in the Sci-Fi thriller. With the abundance of TV actors, relatively few recognizable faces make an appearance but it will be refreshing seeing Turk out of his scrubs and on the big screen.

Honestly, this movie looks like “Cloverfield,” if it were actually made with professional cameras, a tripod and incredible studio special effects. So in other words, “Cloverfield” except good with a little bit of “Signs” mixed in. Look out for my review of it on Monday for my thoughts or see it yourself and tell me what you think.

Check out the trailer and other movie info at  HYPERLINK “http://www.iamrogue.com/skyline”

The views expressed in this column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer. Contact Ankur Chawla at achawla@nd.edu