SMC celebrates 'Potter'

As many students await Friday's release of latest Harry Potter movie, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," Saint Mary's geared up with its own celebration entitled "Bellakazam."

The night included lessons in Quidditch, the popular sport in the series that is played on brooms, a Harry Potter themed dinner, a magic show and a viewing of the film version of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

The Student Activities Board, Residence Hall Association and Quidditch Club sponsored the event.

"Seeing everyone out here playing Quidditch makes me want to go back up to my room and watch all six Harry Potter movies," sophomore Kristen Rice said.

The Quidditch Club hosted lessons on the library green and gave away scarves to the students who participated. The scarves were themed after the Saint Mary's dorm buildings.

Many Harry Potter enthusiasts engaged in the various Quidditch games and broom races. Following the lessons, students were invited to a "Great Hall" themed dinner in the Noble Family dining hall.

"The dining hall was well decorated and it got me excited for the movie," sophomore Kerry Stewart said.

The candle-lit dinner included long tables, such as those in the movie, and banners to represent each residence hall of Saint Mary's. Students could also make chocolate dipped pretzel wands themed for dessert.

"I really liked making the chocolate pretzel wands," sophomore Erika Wallace said. "However, I wish there were more Harry Potter themed foods."

After dinner, Magician Norman Ng put on a magic show in Carroll Auditorium.

Overall, Bellakazam tried to bring a little bit of Hogwarts to the College campus while giving Harry Potter fans a chance to gear up for the release of the "Deathly Hallows," and express their love for the Harry Potter series.