Women's Rowing: ND learns from meet at Indiana

Even though Sunday's race against Indiana in Indianapolis was only a scrimmage, Irish coach Martin Stone said he thought it would go a long way in helping his team.

Stone stressed this weekend's importance as an opportunity to get everyone on the roster involved in more spring-season structured races.

"All our boats did well and gained some invaluable experience racing side-by-side with other boats," he said. "We did well, I was pleased. It was good for them to experience racing next to another boat and hearing the coxswain."

Besides the added challenge of racing side-by-side, a setup not common to the fall season, Notre Dame dealt with some rough water conditions. Stone said the conditions, which the Irish do not often face, forced his team to adjust. In agreement with Sunday's theme, however, he said his squad learned from the challenge.

"Everybody got some good experience racing in some rough conditions which we usually don't row in," Stone said. "It just makes it a little tougher. We adjusted to the conditions and some pieces worked and some didn't."

As a long winter off-season separates the two seasons, Stone said it is important to carry those lessons into the later part of their competitive year.

"The fall is for figuring some things out that you want to carry over into the spring," he said.

Although the Irish have yet to firmly establish lineups that will be used come springtime, Stone said he is not worried at this point in the year.

"Things change — people get more fit, get stronger and other things," Stone said. "There are lots of variables. We're probably pretty close for where we are right now in the season, but it's not really a big deal."

Notre Dame will conclude the fall season on Sunday, facing the Hoosiers again, along with Big Ten foes Michigan State and Ohio State. The scrimmage, hosted by the Buckeyes in Columbus, Ohio, begins at noon.