Bike theft creates concern

Saint Mary's has experienced 12 bicycle thefts since August, David Gariepy, director of security said.

Gariepy notified students of the thefts via e-mail Nov. 22.

The e-mail, which stated thefts usually occurred near resident hall bicycle racks, encouraged students to report suspicious activity to campus security, especially "anyone near our bicycle racks, not fitting the description of a typical Saint Mary's College student (female, late teens to early 20's) should be viewed as suspicious."

Gariepy said more bicycles have been stolen than in previous years — "an unusually high number," he said.

Some of the thefts occurred to bicycles that were locked to the racks, Gariepy said.

"Some bicycles were locked to bicycle racks and the locks were cut, while some bikes were not locked and simply taken," he said. "Most were taken from or near bike racks located near our resident halls."

The e-mail said the bicycle locks, which were cut, were discarded where the bicycle was parked.

Gariepy said campus security currently has no leads to particular suspects, but has been carefully watching for suspicious activity to prevent further thefts.

"Officers are aware of the thefts and are keeping a closer watch for suspicious activity near bicycle storage areas," he said.

According to Gariepy, one bicycle was stolen in August, three in September, four in October and four in November.

Gariepy encouraged students to make sure their bicycles were secured.

He said students could prevent theft by registering their bicycles with campus security and purchasing tamper-proof locks to secure the bicycle to the rack.

"Student may also take advantage of the indoor winter storage that security provides at no cost," he said.

Gariepy also reminded students to "be aware of suspicious persons or activity on campus and always report your observations to security."

To report suspicious activity at Saint Mary's College, call campus security at 574-284-5000.