SMC holds Christmas craft show

Offering a wide variety of handmade, unique gifts, the Christmas Craft Show held at Saint Mary's College invites students as well as members of the community to purchase goods to support local artists, Carrie Call, director of the Office of Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE) at the College said.

The craft show will be held in Reignbeaux and Stapleton Lounges in Le Mans Hall at the College Friday from noon to 6 p.m.

According to Call, the craft show will host about 50 local or regional artisans who will be selling their handmade goods.

"We focus on handmade items," she said. "This means that we have people selling items that they or family members have made themselves. This also includes businesses that people have started themselves."

Call said the craft show began four years ago and is open to students from Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame and Holy Cross College. Members of the community have also been invited to attend.

According to Call, the craft show serves several purposes.

"It's important for several reasons," she said. "One is that it provides a fun and festive way for us to raise money for the Christmas programs. But it's also a community-wide event that demonstrates our support of local and regional artists."

Call said the money raised from the fees artists pay to rent a table space will benefit the families the College has "adopted" for the 12 Days of Christmas Project.

"This year we are sponsoring 40 plus adults and over 70 children with clothing, food, household essentials and gifts," Call said.

According to Call, the craft show has been held annually at Saint Mary's to unite the local community and the campus community.

"We hold the event here because it's a great way for the Saint Mary's community to have fun and celebrate together, and it invites the wider community onto our campus," she said. "Many people have never been on campus, and this gives them a fun opportunity to see what Saint Mary's is like."

Call said the craft show will offer a variety of gifts.

"A large variety of items are available. This includes jewelry of all kinds, knitted and crocheted items, pottery, paintings, photography, specialty foods, decorative items, wood crafts, handmade toys and more," she said.

Call encouraged students to attend the craft show.

"Students should come because they will find unique, beautiful, affordable, one-of-a-kind gifts," she said. "It's also an easy way to support our Christmas programs. Really though, the best reason is the selection and prices. Everyone loves receiving unique gifts — gifts with heart."