Men's Tennis: Team earns first win, falls to Virginia

The Irish earned their first victory of the season Sunday over William and Mary before falling to No. 1 Virginia.

In the first match against William and Mary, the Notre Dame squad won five of their six singles matches and swept all three doubles matches to earn a 6-1 victory.

No. 71 senior Stephen Havens and junior Sam Keeton were both able to earn 6-3, 6-1 victories at the No. 1 and No. 5 singles positions, respectively.

Junior Casey Watt opened his spring campaign with a win at No. 2 singles, while sophomore Blas Moros also earned a win for the Irish at No. 6 singles.

The Irish suffered their only loss at No. 4 singles when Jamie Whiteford defeated freshman Greg Andrews in a tight three set match.

The Irish earned all three wins in the doubles lineup, starting with a team of two seniors, Havens and Tyler Davis, who won 8-4 at No. 1.

Junior Niall Fitzgerald and sophomore Spencer Talmadge won 8-5, while Greg Andrews and Watt won at No. 3.

In the second match of the weekend against Virginia, the Irish only mustered one win at No. 7 singles by No. 122 Tyler Davis, and lost 9-1.

The Irish played three tight doubles matches but did not pick up any victories.

Havens fell at No. 1 singles to No. 27 Michael Shabaz 6-3, 6-0.

Watt won the first set of his No. 2 singles match against No. 3 Alex Domijan before dropping the next two to lose the match, while Moros played a tough match before losing 7-5, 7-5 at No. 6 singles to No. 105 Justin Shane. Senior Dan Stahl fell at No. 3 singles to No. 10 Sanam Singh. At No. 1 doubles Havens and Davis fell 9-8 (5), while Fitzgerald and Talmadge lost 8-7 (4).

The Irish will return to action Friday against Oklahoma in Champaign, Ill.