Men’s Track and Field: Underclassmen excel in competitive home meet

Joe Wirth | Monday, January 24, 2011

Notre Dame competed in the Notre Dame Invitational Saturday at the Loftus Sports Center.

The team excelled throughout the event and notched a total of 10 first-place finishes. It was a total team effort, but young talent carried a large portion of the load for the Irish. Freshman Jarrod Buchanon registered a time of 8.42 seconds to take first place in the 60-meter hurdles. Freshman Patrick Feeney and sophomore Brendan Dougherty also carried some the weight. Feeney came in first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.17 seconds, while Dougherty won the 500-meter dash in 1:05.31.

Another underclassman taking home first place honors was sophomore Jeremy Rae, who took first place in 1,000-meter race with a time of 2:22.53.

Some of the standout performances by upperclassmen included wins by seniors Jack Howard and Ryan Gamboa. Howard, andindoor All-American, crossed the line first in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:52.64 and Gamboa ran the mile in 4:08.98 in his first place performance.

With first place finishes in the triple jump, pole vault and weight throw, the Irish shined in the field events as well. Junior Patrick Glass won the triple jump with a leap of 13.71 meters. Junior Kevin Schipper leapt 5.1 meters to capture first in the pole vault. Senior Greg Davis threw 17.68 meters to win the weight throw.

The Irish will return to action Friday at the Indiana Relays at Indiana University in Bloomington.