Senate discusses student discounts, new website

In its first meeting of the semester, Student Senate discussed the Students for South Bend Discount Program and brainstormed ways to attract more students to the new student government website.

The discount program aims to motivate students to become more involved in the South Bend community by offering discounts for local businesses. It is available for use by all Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross College students.

"We've established a meeting with downtown South Bend so we can present the program and list the merchants we'll work with," Chair of Off-Campus Concerns Committee Emily LeStrange said.

LeStrange, along with representatives from Saint Mary's and Holy Cross, plans to visit additional businesses she would like to enlist in the program.

"We've gathered a list of people we've worked well with in the past," LeStrange said.

Student government also ordered decals to advertise the program, which will be given to those who participate.

Student body vice president Andrew Bell presented the new student government website, emphasizing his desire to attract more visitors to the site.

The new site will provide links to each committee within student government, which will lead to overviews of the committee's current projects along with the contact information for the chair of the committee.

"Hopefully with this addition, if people go on they will be interested and be able to see what we do," Bell said.

New Senate resolutions and documents will be posted on the site. It will also hold information for students looking to join student government.

"It explains ways to get involved at various levels, whether it's through Class Council or Senate or even just Hall Council," Bell said.

Members of Senate discussed different possible ways to draw more students to the new website, including a link at the top of the insideND homepage.

Bell said the site is not online yet but student government plans to launch it soon.