-

-

Snoop Dogg to Take the Stage at Feve

Chris Collum | Monday, January 24, 2011

Better known by his world famous moniker Snoop Dogg, Calvin Broadus will take the stage this Wednesday at Club Fever in South Bend. Snoop Dogg, originally known as Snoop Doggy Dogg before he changed his performance name in 1996, has been rapping and acting for more than 20 years. His 1993 debut album “Doggystyle” featured such hit singles as “Gin and Juice” and “Who Am I (What’s My Name)” and has been hailed as a classic of the gangsta rap genre. He is currently touring in support of “Malice n Wonderland,” his 10th album, and plans to release another studio effort entitled “Doggumentary” in March of this year.

Born in 1971 in Los Angeles, where he has lived his entire life, Calvin Broadus began singing and playing piano for his church when he was very young and began rapping at the age of 11. While still in high school, he was arrested for criminal distribution of cocaine and served six months in prison, the first of many legal troubles for Snoop Dogg. He identified himself as a member of the Crips gang for years, which coupled with his well-known recreational use of marijuana, which has been the source of many of his legal problems. While recording “Doggystyle” in 1993, Broadus was arrested in connection with the murder of rival gang member Phillip Woldermarian by Snoop Dogg’s bodyguard. Additionally, after allegedly sparking a brawl at Heathrow Airport in London, Broadus has been banned from entering the United Kingdom for life.

Despite these legal difficulties, however, Snoop Dogg has been an extremely successful rapper and entertainer for two decades. His first appearance in film was a cameo appearance in the 1998 stoner cult classic “Half Baked,” written by and starring Dave Chappelle. He has since appeared in approximately twenty-five movies, including “Soul Plane,” “Bones” and “Starsky and Hutch.” His influnce on popular culture, however, is possibly best exemplified by the popularity of the suffix “-izzle” which Snoop Dogg is credited with introducing to the mass public.

Following the massive success of “Doggystyle” — it was certified four times platinum a little more than six months after its release — Snoop Dogg released “The Doggfather” in 1996, his last album on Dr. Dre’s Death Row record label. In 1998 Broadus dropped his third album “Da Game Is to Be Sold, Not to Be Told,” which featured “Gin & Juice II” and smash hit “Still a G Thang.”

While he certainly never faded from the limelight, Snoop Dogg has seen resurgence in popularity in recent years, with his single “I Wanna Rock” reaching number three on the U.S. Billboard Rap Songs chart in late 2009.  Then of course there is his guest spot in Katy Perry’s chart-topping “California Gurls” as well as his cameo appearance in the subsequent video. In addition to his upcoming solo album, Snoop Dogg is supposedly recording an album with up-and-coming Pittsburgh rapper Wiz Khalifa. At the very least Snoop did appear on the official remix for Wiz’s breakthrough hit “Black and Yellow” a few months ago.

Snoop Dogg has always been known for putting on an extravagant and spirited live performance, and given the good reviews that recent stops of this current tour have gotten, it seems likely that this Wednesday’s performance should not disappoint those who attend. Tickets are $45 in advance and $49 the day of the show, however the show is currently sold out according to the Ticketmaster website.